Friday, June 3, 2016

Come Fight My Knights

In the last year I did something I always wanted to do, I started working at Kansas City Renaissance Festival. I've always wanted to, but never really had the guts or know how to get involved.  Even though many of my friends of more than 20 years have worked there probably that long.  It ended up taking a friend from the derbs to get me into it.  Hi Ho Silver, an awesome gal on the Royal Pains saw a post I shared from the faire saying they were hiring and how I always wanted to do that.  Welllll, she was a camp follower for the Yeomen Bodyguard living history group..you know, those stoic men in black that guard the king and queen, and could hook me up.

Photo courtesy of Mark Leaver.
I came to a few of their practices last summer and signed on.  I mean, c'mon, who wouldn't?  I get to traipse around in corsets, surrounded by men in tights!  Plus, not only are they super cool, but it's actually still an active branch of the British Military...check out this site or this one for more info.  Come to the festival and walk by our camp and you'll probably hear me shouting in one of my many accents, "Come fight one of my knights!"

They are some of the best people I know.  I count them as some of my best friends.  Just last night, there was practice (one must always be ready for combat) and afterwards the normal camaraderie.  I've never been great at asking for help when I need it, but last night a couple of my knights let me know that they knew I needed them and to not shy away from coming to them.  I don't think they know how much they mean to me...well, actually they should as I'll be cooking for them next season and that means cooking animals even though I'm a vegetarian...but anyway, seriously, it meant the world.  I know that if I ever needed someone, I could reach out to any of them and they'd be there for me.

During Norman Medieval Fair, a panorama of awesome.



Today I ate: 2 chocolate chip cookies, veggie chimichanga and 3 Peanut Butter Sandwich Girl Scout cookies.

Today I bought: Season Pass to Worlds Of Fun

No comments:

Post a Comment