Tuesday, February 3, 2015

I Can See the Resemblance

My Uncle Rodney had piercing blue eyes.  So bright.  Much brighter than my own which tend towards gray more often than blue.  He was the younger brother of my Mamaw (grandma Dorothy) and our family resemblance is undeniable.

Mamaw Dorothy



Me

Uncle Rodney
Uncle Rodney died last week and such as is the fate of those who don't live in the same town, it was not known to me until last night.  My dad forgot to call until he saw three of my sisters at the visitation in the evening.  The funeral was this morning. Luckily, we had enough staff at work that I could leave and made it in time.  I was very glad that I was able to go, but I was sad that I wasn't able to sing for him.  When Mamaw died in 2001, I sang her favorite hymn at the funeral.  Uncle Rodney loved it and made me promise I would sing for him as well.  Unfortunately, due to the circumstances I was not able to.

I haven't seen him except for at mostly funerals since then and the last time was in August at my Aunt's.  He was so frail and wasn't sure who I was.  I didn't know this was because he had Alzheimer's.  My memories of him are of work he did at my grandmother's house..helping my dad put in a water heater; installing a bathroom on the first floor when she couldn't go upstairs easily anymore.  He looked so much like his sister that for awhile it really hurt, as well made me very happy, when I would see him after she died.


Today I ate an apple, cheese stick, coffee, corn casserole, green beans, macaroni salad, brownie, Sofritas burrito, 2 Jamaican ginger ales.

Today I bought a Buffy trade paperback, Laurell K Hamilton book on cd, TARDIS car magnet and a new knee support.

No comments:

Post a Comment