Monday, June 13, 2016

It's Never Made Sense

I'm in Al-Anon.  It's an offshoot of Alcoholics Anonymous.  It's for those of use who are family members or partners or friends of an alcoholic.  We meet to try to help ourselves deal with how the situation of living with an alcoholic in our lives have changed us as people or colored the way we deal with the world.  It's not just for those with an alcoholic in their lives, but anyone with an addiction or struggle that has similar effects.

We work steps, same as AA and try to apply them to our lives in a way that mean something to us and help us. Many of the principals are based in a Christian belief system. I don't begrudge this as it was developed during the first half of the 20th century and in recent times some of the wording has been changed to be more inclusive of other faiths so more people might find help. One slogan is take what you need and leave the rest.  I've gotten some good advice, taken to heart some lessons from others and it's really helped.

Tonight's meeting revolved around the Second Step.


For many in the group this step is about giving up to (the Christian) God their worries and fears and anger and anything they know they can't control or change and waiting for him to guide them or show them what to do. But as long as I've been old enough to think logically, that idea never made sense to me.

How can anyone accept that God (no matter which you believe in) will help you with something like being angry at a bad driver or being sad because the alcoholic in your life decides to leave you for someone else, while so much suffering and tragedy happens daily with no intervention?  Why would any God make it a priority to help someone with something that they should be able to work out for themselves, instead of ensuring children are no longer hurt or hungry or crazy people don't kill a club or school full of people?

So, I've decided a power greater than myself is the one I'll be tomorrow, as I grow and learn and build myself up to be a better person, not just for myself but for society as a whole.

Today I ate: 2 vegan pizza pockets and a cookie
Today I bought: shorts and a bra

1 comment:

  1. I think one of the main reasons people reject God and reject religion is because they think the existence of a loving god means that nothing bad will ever happen to us, and that shows a fundamental misunderstanding of what it means to believe. I certainly don't have all the answers, but I know God is not a genie that guarantees safety and happiness at all times. The world isn't a safe place. If the son of God can be nailed to a board for suggesting we should maybe be kind to one another for a change, no one is really safe.

    It's human nature to try to make sense of things, but God is beyond our understanding, and always will be. Trying to apply human logic, or assign human qualities and standards to someone we can't possibly fathom, is completely futile. Sometimes we have to trust that there's a purpose, and that things will sometimes not make sense to us. Half the time, the purpose or lesson isn't even for us, it's for someone who may be watching. That's the hardest thing about faith, I think, and the reason some people just aren't on board at all.

    ReplyDelete